Wrap sandwiches are quick and easy to make, and the crispy fried chicken and spicy sour cream sauce give this one added crunch and flavor.
This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases when you purchase using the links on this page. It doesn't increase the price of the items for you, and it helps me cover the costs of bringing great recipes to you.
Do you love a good wrap? Maybe my favorite wrap of all time is a Caesar wrap, but this California Crispy Chicken Wrap is a very close second. I added french fries to this wrap, which is a newer twist for wrap sandwiches. I just sort of threw these ingredients together, and it turned out really tasty. The sauce is spicy sour cream sauce that I concocted on the fly to go with it.
Wraps versus Sandwiches - which do you prefer?
Wrap sandwiches are quick and easy to make, and they're easier to eat that a regular sandwich because everything is contained inside the wrap. You can eat a wrap single-handed, which you wouldn't be able to do with these same ingredients between two slices of bread or toast.
Wraps are much easier to eat on the fly, too!
What makes this recipe so good?
The crunchy texture from the french fries and chicken are what make this recipe pop! It would be good without the crispy chicken - just using strips of chicken breast, yes. But having that crunchy texture really makes this chicken wrap sing.
Not only that, but this California Crispy Chicken Wrap has hot ingredients in it - again, the french fries and the chicken. It's a nice, toasty change from wraps that are served cold.
The Spicy Sour Cream Sauce as a creamy condiment has just the right amount of heat to spice up the wrap.
Can you refrigerate leftovers?
Yes, with caveats. If you have leftover ingredients, store the veggies in an airtight container - sprinkle some lemon juice on the avocado to help keep it from turning black (and even wrap it up tight in some plastic wrap to help prevent blackening, too).
Keep the fries and chicken together. If you want to have that crunch-hot texture again, you'll want to reheat them in a toaster oven or skillet before serving. I don't recommend using a microwave to reheat them, because while they'll be hot, they won't be crispy.
The Spicy Sour Cream Sauce should be stored in its own container, too.
California Crispy Chicken Wrap Ingredients
- Frozen, breaded chicken strips
- Frozen french fries
- Lettuce - iceberg, romaine, arugula, etc
- Cheddar cheese (optional)
- Flour tortillas, wrap size
- Spicy Sour Cream Sauce: sour cream, cayenne pepper, chili powder, milk
How to make the California Crispy Chicken Wrap
First, mix all the ingredients for the Spicy Sour Cream Sauce together and set it aside to let the flavors meld while you prepare the rest of the wrap ingredients.
Chop the tomato, onion and lettuce. Grate the cheese. Cut a lime into wedges for squeezing.
Next, prepare the chicken strips and french fries according to package instructions. While those two ingredients are cooking, slice the avocado (doing this toward the end so that the slices don't blacken from exposure to air).
When the chicken and fries are ready, lay out a wrap and add a mixture of all the ingredients, including the Spicy Sour Cream Sauce. Fold an edge of the wrap up over the ingredients partially, then wrap the other two sides around the ingredients to create a roll. Dive in and enjoy!
More Chicken recipes to try
Hungry for sandwiches? Here's a couple more!
- Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich - take grilled cheese to a new level
- Loaded Turkey Panini Sandwich
- Grandma Iva's Sloppy Joe's - this recipe goes back to the 1920's
California Crispy Chicken Wrap with Spicy Sour Cream Sauce
Spicy Sour Cream Sauce
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 1½ teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 4-6 frozen, breaded chicken strips
- 6-8 frozen french fries
- 4-6 avocado slices
- ⅓ cup diced fresh tomato
- ⅛ cup chopped onion
- lime wedges
- ⅔ cup Iceberg or Romaine lettuce cut into strips
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese optional
- 2 flour tortillas, wrap size
- Prepare the Spicy Sour Cream Sauce by mixing all the ingredients thoroughly in a small bowl. Set aside to let the flavors meld while preparing the rest of the wrap ingredients.
- Prepare the chicken strips and french fries by either frying them in a little cooking oil or air-frying. Make sure they're both nice and crispy hot.
- While frying the chicken and fries, prep the tomato, onion, lettuce and lime. Set aside.
- When the fries and chicken are cooked and nice and crispy, assemble them along with the fresh ingredients in the four tortilla wrap, squeezing some lime juice over the top. Add the grated cheese if you're opting for it. Top it with Spicy Sour Cream Sauce in a quantity to your liking, wrap it all in the tortilla, and enjoy!