Easy to make in just minutes, and using pantry staples you probably already have, you can whip up this Italian dressing recipe in just five minutes.
This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases when you purchase using the links on this page. It doesn't increase the price of the items for you, and it helps me cover the costs of bringing great recipes to you.
Italian dressing is a classic, and so simple to make. No special herbs or spices are needed. It works really well in this Italian Pasta Salad and this easy recipe makes just the right amount for it.
- Olive oil
- White (or red) wine vinegar
- Parmesan cheese (it's okay to use the commercial grated type here)
- Crushed red pepper flakes
This recipe makes just over one cup of Italian dressing, and it couldn't be simpler. Use a wide-mouth jar with a tight-fitting lid, then add all the ingredients and shake well. If you have time, allow it to rest for 30 minutes to let all the flavors blend, then give it another shake before serving.
Because of the addition of the parmesan cheese, store unused Italian dressing in the refrigerator, in a container with a tight-fitting lid. Before serving, take the container out of the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature, because the olive oil will solidify when it's cold.
As a general rule, olive oil (not mixed with other ingredients) should be stored in a cool, dark place, tightly capped. See this short article from the North American Olive Oil Association.
- You can easily leave out the Parmesan cheese, if you like.
- The Italian dressing pictured here was made with white wine vinegar, but it's easy enough to swamp that out for red white vinegar in the same amount
- Some prefer more vinegar taste in their dressing. After mixing, taste for your acid level preference. Add more vinegar in small amounts and re-taste, because it's easy to overdo it.
- If you wish, you can use 1 teaspoon of garlic powder in place of the minced garlic clove.
Italian Dressing with Parmesan Cheese
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1½ teaspoons dried basil
- 1½ teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a wide-mouth jar, add all the ingredients and shake well. Allow the flavors to meld for 30 minutes before using, if possible. Keep refrigerated.